Date TBC, 7pm – 9pm
Exeter Community Centre
This 8-week mindfulness course is offered near the centre of Exeter in Devon.
Who is the 8-week Mindfulness for Life (MBCT-L) course for?
This course was created by Oxford Mindfulness Centre for anyone who would like to experience greater wellbeing.
What are the benefits of attending a mindfulness course?
The course helps you to take better care of your wellbeing and health, as well as to experience a greater appreciation of life. The physical and psychological benefits of mindfulness meditation found by research studies include:
- Being happier and more contented than the average person
- Better and more fulfilling relationships
- Reduced key indicators of chronic stress, such as hypertension
- Reduced anxiety and depression
- Reduced impact of serious conditions, including cancer and chronic pain
- Improved memory and reaction times
- Lowered irritability
- Bolstered immune system, helping to protect against colds and other illnesses
What does this course include?
This course includes:
- 8 (2 hour) sessions involving participation in a range of guided mindfulness meditation practices taught in a secular way
- 1 (5 hour) day of mindful practice
- Exploration of experiences within the practices to increase awareness of personal patterns
- Personal practice suggestions of up to 45 minutes, including recommended guided practices and ways to develop new habits of mindfulness in daily life.
- A 20-30 minute phone or video Orientation Call before the course to discuss what it involves in more depth, what you hope to gain from it and to decide together whether the course will suit you and if this is a good time for you to undertake it.
- A handbook which accompanies the course
- Guided audio recordings in electronic format so you can easily have them on your phone or any portable audio device
- Email and/or telephone support between sessions as needed
- A 20-30 minute phone or video call on completion of the course to review progress (optional)
- Discounted attendance at all future mindfulness and meditation Day Retreats I run to help you to maintain your practice
- Lifetime access to my Mindfulness Practice Development Community on Facebook where you can ask questions and receive ongoing support once the course has finished (optional)
I am a fully qualified and experienced MBCT teacher, trained at the University of Exeter where I was fortunate enough to receive tuition from Professor Willem Kuyken, who is now Director of the Oxford Mindfulness Centre at Oxford University and highly regarded for his teaching and research.
How have other people found the course?
Here is some of the feedback I have received from people who have attended previous 8-week mindfulness courses that I have facilitated in Exeter:
“This course helped me through the tail-end of a very rough patch. I had started to feel better before it started but the course definitely was key. I’ve also avoided a few points where my anxiety could have easily spiralled thanks to this course. Thanks to the course I’m back to being able to find joy in things I’m doing. I’m sleeping properly again and I feel able to handle work and my social life…I feel a lot more in control of my emotions and my experiences…it had a very clear, positive impact on my wellbeing.”
“It has been very important in teaching me the necessary skills for coping with stress…I have also found it very important to learn these skills for the future…it can be so beneficial in learning how to have a healthy mind.”
“It’s very useful and practical…Befriending attitude is very useful and I can adapt it to help my problem about being perfectionist…I feel more calm when I study. I think I beat myself up less often when things go wrong.”
“I like the way I view my body now. Before it was just a vehicle – got me around the place. Now I see it as one aspect of the self which is always in one piece, no matter how scattered my mind is and I appreciate it for that.”
How much does it cost to do this course?
I am committed to offering mindfulness courses in Exeter at an affordable rate and so I am currently trialing offering them on a partially donation basis. The minimum charge for the course is £165, which is payable at the time of booking. You will then be invited to give an additional contribution on completion of the course. The suggested additional contribution is a further £50 for those who can afford it, but the exact amount you choose to give is at your discretion. You are encouraged to give what you feel the course has been worth for you, where you can, so that this can be a sustainable initiative.
How do I book a place on the course?
You are very welcome to contact me if you have any questions or you can arrange the initial complementary phone or video Orientation Call by completing the form that the button below takes you to. During this call we will come to a decision together about whether it seems the course would suit you and if it feels like the right time for you to start.
When will the next course be running?
I plan to run the next course in early 2024. If you would like to be notified of dates for future courses, then please sign up to the mailing list below: